Atlex’s Tom Austin attended this years Southern Prime Lamb Group Forum which was held at Hamilton, Vic on Thursday 7th May 2015.
The day was a Q&A style forum with a panel of Western District lamb finishers and feed lotters chaired by animal nutritionist San Jolly, from Productive Nutrition. The day focused on finding the best options for weaning and finishing lambs for optimum market returns.
The discussion topics included:
- How do I feed and what do I feed?
- On-farm experience in feedlot and paddock environments
- Options for feeding – pellets, fodder, crops, or grain?
- Doing the sums – what is the economic benefit?
- Electronic tagging – is it worth it? What’s the payback?